Monday, November 3, 2014

"Stick Man" Book and Craft

We had one of our bi-weekly visits to the public library and came home with this gem of a book. Stick Man by Julia Donaldson
As soon as we finished this book I knew it was a new favorite! My son immediately wanted to turn back  in the book and review some of the scenes. We talked all about Stick Man and his adventures. It was a beautiful day outside, so I suggested that maybe we should go out and search for a stick to create our own Stick Man. Needless to say, TC was beyond enthusiastic! So off we went to search the yard!
No doubt there was a bit of imaginative play along the way! 
Then we found the perfect tree limb laying at the back of our property line.
 We rushed to the garage to shorten the limb and create our Stick Man. TC decided we needed to create Stick Man's wife, Stick Lady Love, as well. So I got out the saw and cut these two pieces. 
We used this page at the beginning of the book for our inspiration, and gathered the materials we had on hand to help make Stick Man and his Stick Lady Love. We used a hot glue gun, pipe cleaners, and googly eyes.


 Then we put our heads together and decided how to create the characters and make them as close to the book as possible. We pieced them together and TC decided that instead of making the top of their "heads" with leaves that we should give them "hats." He then ran outside and came back with two acorn tops! I thought it was such a smart and cute addition! 
Here are the final results.
The fun didn't end there. TC and I re-read the book and he used his Stick Man to act out each and every scene. Afterwards we each played a character and continued the story. We made up the conversation that Stick Man and Stick Lady Love would have had after his adventures. 
Lots of laughs followed, and then my husband got in on the story stretching too! 
 I'm sure TC and I will be reading this book repeatedly throughout the holiday season. 
**This book does refer to Christmas and popular Christmas symbols.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your blog Christina and Tobias. It made me giggle when I seen the adventure you both had with Stick Man and Stick Lady Love. Thanks and it inspired me!

    ReplyDelete